Friday, September 02, 2005

It's a... Chipmunk?

I swear. Had an ultrasound showing a fetbryo that looks exactly like a baby chipmunk to me, which is adorable of course. The amniotic sac looks like it could be the tail... Hey, I'm just saying. What's really funny is that when my dad told his sister that the baby looks like a chipmunk, my aunt asked, seriously, if maybe they might have mixed up the embryos. First of all, this is one of the funniest things I've ever heard (really, what would a fertility clinic be doing with chipmunk embryos? Even if they were infertile, surely they wouldn't be able to cover the thousands of dollars in fees?) It does make one wonder. Second, my aunt is so nice and sweet that this statement is hysterical without us laughing at her. She says thing like this sometimes, and really, I just find it endearing.

In other fronts, I went for my very last appointment at the fertility place today. I felt like I was graduating; I kept thinking I should get a certificate. I brought in Dunkin Donuts for the staff, because everyone has been lovely to me and they're always so friendly. They really appreciated it - I got the impression that donut deliveries don't happen very frequently. I can't imagine why...

The poor girl who drew my blood dropped the vial. On the floor. Where it broke. I felt terrible for her. And the woman sitting next to me who got squeamish over the sight of all the blood. The phlebotomist then tried a vein on the other arm, but missed it. I just told her to use the original vein but go up a bit higher. That did the trick. Poor thing; mistakes happen, and I certainly wasn't upset... It definitely made my last time memorable! She probably felt mortified that the other patients were looking at her, hoping she wouldn't be the one to draw them... Shit does happen, I told her not to worry about it. Then I told her to go get a donut.

They just called in my results, and my progesterone is low: 12, down from 19 on Wednesday (I've been off the injections since Tuesday). They've just called in a prescription for Prometrium 200mg tabs, which I take (vaginally! Yay!) three times a day. I also found out this will cost $187.00. Whoo hoo! I have a mail order pharmacy, but I need to start the meds tonight, and the mail order takes about a week. So when I get the Rx fulfilled at a local pharmacy, I pay up front and then get reimbursed for 80% in about 2 weeks, which isn't too bad. Time to bust out that miles card!

6 Comments:

At 9/03/2005 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think when the baby is born you should show your aunt a picture of a chipmunk in a blanket or baby clothes! ;+)

 
At 9/04/2005 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear that things are going so well!

 
At 9/04/2005 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omigod... that is the cutest ultrasound pic I've EVER seen... it's TOTALLY a chipmunk... are you sure there's not a veterinary division at your clinic??? A place that helps disenfranchised animals achieve their lifelong goal of having a litter to call their very own???

Clearly... the nickname must change.... lentil-schmentil... it's GOT to be Chip or Dale!!!

So glad everything is going well...

 
At 9/04/2005 7:06 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Thanks, Tessy! I completely LMAO reading that! I'm going to start looking for pics of chipmunks and photoshop them with baby clothes - that will be a riot! And of course I'll post them here ; )

Thank you, Thalia for your kind words. I was so sorry to hear that your most recent attempt didn't work out the way I had hoped. Here's to a successful IVF.

Thanks, Manuela for your humor & positive wishes. Yes, the lentil has become our little chipmunk baby... A little chippie if you will. I understand that at the end of the 3rd month, the baby will be about the size of an apple... Ah! Our little apple dapple! Oh good lord, it's enough to make one hurl. I just wish things had gone differently for you. I'm rooting for you as you get ready to go for IVF. Good luck!

 
At 9/05/2005 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lentil? Chippie? Apple?

Your child is going to have major food issues... ;-)

 
At 9/05/2005 5:29 PM, Blogger Anna said...

It's amazing not to ever go back. Which means, of course, that our little chipmunk will likely be an only child, but that's okay with us. We'll take whatever we can get.

Being that most of our nicknames involve food (honey, muffin, and any combination thereof, e.g. bunny muffin, honey bee), food issues we can deal with! ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home