Monday, October 24, 2005

Newsflash! My Mother Appears to be Happy!

Mr. Right & I traveled to my mom's house the day after the previous ultrasound image was captured and presented her with a copy in an envelope. We took her and my aunt out to lunch to tell them the big news. Now, normally for some there might not be apprehension involved, but this is my mother, who is entirely dependent on other's emotions, specifically my brother's. If bro is in a bad mood or has had a bad day, so has mom. If he's doing okay, then so is my mom. But that co-dependent relationship is a whole other ball of wax.

I was planning on telling her one way, when Mr. R asked for the envelope (please). I handed it to him, which he then handed to my mom and said, "I think you're going to want to see what's in here." She opened the envelope, looked at the ultrasound, looked at us and said "Oh! Are you pregnant?" I said yes, and she practically cried she seemed so happy. So this was a good thing, because my brother had a bad morning and we weren't sure what kind of reaction we would get. We weren't expecting such a happy reaction, but we were rather relieved. She asked if my father knew, and I told her that yes, he knew, but we wanted to tell her in person. Aside from a tantrum from my brother, it was a fairly pleasant afternoon and little stress was experienced.

Sadly, my mother invited my (other) cousin A over the next day, when she proceeded to grill her for five minutes: "You knew, didn't you! You knew! while giving her the evil eye. My poor cousin kept asking what my mother was talking about, a little taken aback at the vehemence at mother's tone, until mom finally believed her, and then showed A my ultrasound picture. My cousin was thrilled for us and my mother finally apologized. She thought if my father knew, he must have told my aunt, who would have told A. The only thing my mother hates more than someone thinking ill of her is People Knowing Something She Doesn't, even though she keeps secrets just for the sake of keeping them.

So far she's been behaving, and has even sent a gift box of cute things she's bought for the baby. While she wouldn't help with the IVF costs, I sincerely appreciate her helping out for the baby. With my mom, I've learned not to expect anything, but I'll take whatever I can get.

For those cooters who have moved on, was sharing your news a universally happy announcement? Or were there some eggshells that needed soft treading? I'd love to hear of you're so inclined to share.

4 Comments:

At 10/24/2005 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for your sweet comment. I will happily raise my margarita (make that margaritas) to you and your happy news. Congrats!!

 
At 10/25/2005 3:56 PM, Blogger NME said...

SO glad your mother is happy. Becoming a grandparent can bring out really wonderful things in people. I wasn't speaking to my Dad before Noah was born but now we email every day. He's so interested and involved in Noah's life and that made me put aside our differences.

 
At 10/26/2005 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... seems like there's a plethora of whacky moms out there right now! I'm de-lighted that she's happy... as she should be!

MWAH!

 
At 10/29/2005 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that your mum did the right thing for once!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home