Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bleeding, Just Not From Where You'd Think

Friday night we had a late supper of homemade broccoli soup and corn muffins. We lounged on the couch and watched the rest of Kinsey on the TiVo, which we enjoyed.

At about 10:45 p.m., I felt a little wet trickle from my left nostril - Happy joy! A nosebleed! I got some tissues and pinched my nose the way the What to Expect book instructed. Checked back in 5 minutes, still bleeding. Repeat four times. Mr. Right got very concerned and his protective mode kicked in. He wanted to bring me to the hospital but this was only my 3rd nosebleed ever (the 1st one lasted 30 min., the second, which was earlier that week, only lasted a few minutes). I said to give it just a few minutes more, it would probably stop. After continued flow and coughing up blood clots the size I haven't seen in ages, we decided he was right...time to go to the hospital.

We arrived at the emergency department at 12:07 a.m., and were seen shortly after that. They took my medical history, BP (147/88) and sent me back with a nurse. Still bleeding. They gave me a little basin for my blood clots. This came in handy because Mr. R kept making me laugh, which dislodged the clots. After being examined by a lovely pleasant doctor, they decided to pack my left nostril. Which involved numbing said nostril and sticking some kind of foam thing so far into my nose, I was truly shocked. But not as shocked when they told me it would need to stay in for three days. Three (3) days. They ran bloodwork, urine tests, which were all negative. Thankfully, no protein in my urine (yay!). They did an ultrasound of the Bee, who kicked and squirmed and displayed a fantastic heart rate. The kind doctor lady called my OB to confer, who said I could go home, but he wanted to see me Monday (this was terribly convenient, as my 34 week appointment was already scheduled for 2 pm on Monday). I was also instructed to take it easy. Which brings me to today.

I've just chilled out today, napping, reading, and baking brownies. I just came into the office (which is right downstairs from where we live) to check on an e*bay auction to see if we won shades for our bedroom (yes, we did! Yay for saving loads). As it's been a while I thought I'd update with the lovely story of blood and mucus. Gladly, I have not had any recurrent bleeding. When upright, my right nostril seems to close completely off, but thankfully if I lie down on the right side, it opens up and I am rewarded with unobstructed breathing.

Mr. R will be back soon. We were supposed to go to DC today to pick up a refurbished cast iron pedestal sink as we are completely redoing our bathroom. He wanted to stay with me today, but with our schedule I sent him off: "What are you going to do? Watch me sleep? Go pick out a sink! This is the only day we have to do this!" I heard from him about an hour ago, mission accomplished and he'll be back shortly. Yay! Missed him oodles, but glad we can get on with the whole bathroom thing. I'm 8.5 months pregnant, and we have no toilet in our bathroom... you do the math. Soon to follow, pics of the renovation in stages! Mr. Right's organizing and scheduling everything, which he's really enjoying. I'll just take the pictures. I'm going to go home and be stuffy there. Later, gators.

7 Comments:

At 2/26/2006 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes-- what an ordeal! Nosebleeds are awful. Enjoy the excuse to take it easy.

 
At 3/01/2006 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK!! You poor poor thing! Blech... NOSE clots!!!??? ok... now I'm laughing... I'm sorry... I can't helpt it...

 
At 3/01/2006 5:39 PM, Blogger Anna said...

That's okay! When you put it that way, it makes me laugh too. And of course that was what dislodging all those clots! It's okay now, I just can't blow my nose until March 6. It's driving me nuts...

 
At 3/03/2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I get nosebleeds all the freaking time. They aren't so fun.

I can't wait to see pictures!! Yes, please!

 
At 3/20/2006 4:20 PM, Blogger Demeter said...

I stumbled accross your blog and realized that you had DE from your cousin. I am considering this route (my FSH is high) and wonder about that conversation I will be having with my female cousins. How fortunate you are. I hope you have a lovely baby. All the best!

 
At 1/31/2017 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello dear! Thank you so much for this wonderful blog! I think it will be very helpful for some women) I have PCOS and I know how it feels. I've been in treatment for years. Unfortunately it brought zero result. I'm currently pregnant with twins from donor egg. I should say now I have no feeling my babies are not mine genetically. To be honest I had some doubts. I didn't know how I feel about the procedure... I thought maybe I should wait and try something else and it will help me to get pregnant. But we'd found out that the likelihood of having our own children was practically zero. So ivf with donor egg was our last and only one option. I have a very 'modern' family with step parents/brothers/sisters, half siblings and step nieces and nephews etc. Genetics really means nothing to me. People who raise and love you are your true family. In the beginning my dh wasn't fully on board. We had some very serious arguments about the procedure. But when he found out I was pregnant everything in him changed! The babies I'm carrying are our children and will always be ours. It's such a hard decision to make, I know. Only you will ever know if it's right for you or not as it's not right for some people. I look at it like at usual treatment of infertility. Doctors just help you a little bit. And then you carry/ give birth/ raise - do what usual parents do. We still haven't decided whether or not we'll ever tell the babies about the donor. But we're definitely not telling anyone else how we came to be pregnant. It's only our bussiness. I don't see something super special in it so everyone should know. These babies are mine. I really feel it and I don't make myself to do so)

 
At 2/10/2017 12:10 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Hi Anonymous,

So glad your pregnancy is moving right along! I have to tell you, as my son is approaching his 11th birthday, I never imagined I could love someone else (other than dh) so much. Parenthood is in your actions and attitude, not your genes. My biological mother has no interest in my life or the life of her grandson. My aunt, my mother's youngest sister), has always been more of a mother to me, even when I was a toddler. We have visited her and her family every year for Christmas, because they include us AS family. We always feel loved and accepted. My cousin's children are my son's cousins, for which we are very grateful. My cousin who donated her eggs to us has since gone on to have twin boys herself, who are two and a half now. She is a wonderful mom, and our son was a tremendous help in watching the boys and his other younger cousins this year. We still haven't told him, but we look forward to it. Like everything else, and all of his other questions, we know the right time will present itself.

I wish you all the best on the remainder of your pregnancy and delivery! I'll look forward to updates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home