Saturday, January 21, 2006

Commencement! (Finally)

I know it's been quite a while since my last post, but we have been utterly swamped at work. I'm not complaining; we were slow over the summer and into October to the point of anxiousness. We've had lulls before, for about two week stretches, but never for several months. I doubt I'll ever complain about being busy again - it's just a fact at this point. So our flurry of activity has kept me from keeping up with your activities and keeping you up to date on my own. Without further ado, the good news:

My cervix has graduated. Throughout the testing and biweekly monitoring, my doctors are satisfied that it's not going to do anything inappropriate. We are quite relieved on that front - it's a good thing.

On December 27th, they performed another Doppler and found that my right uterine arteries have still not quite stepped up to the plate. Our chipmunk measured very well (picture is posted below), and in fact measured 4 days ahead, so thus far intrauterine growth restriction isn't a concern. We will go back to the perinatal center on Tuesday for another Bee check to see how his size is coming along. I'm still not very big (at the onset of my 7th month), which of course makes me a bit nervous that growth restriction will be a problem. It doesn't help that people keep commenting that "Wow! You're really carrying small!" Depending on how the scan goes on Tuesday, I will either welcome these comments, or want to smack people in their foreheads. We shall see, but I am hopeful.

We had our orientation at the hospital today, which was neat and exciting, now that we get to do this "for real". Mr. Right hates hospitals, so he's trying to use this experience to associate good things with hospitals so he won't dislike them so much. I've always liked hospitals, because to me they were the places where they fixed things (like my dad's heart, my arm, etc.). I wonder what is will be like to actually give birth to a child... I know we're supposed to work on our birth plans; ultimately, all I really want is a healthy child and healthy mom. Everything else is just a bonus.

I'll be 29 weeks on Monday, and it still surprises me that I am actually carrying a wee child under my heart. Even with the swollen ankles, puffy feet, maternity jeans, clear skin, and occasional kicks in the cervix. When the Bee does that, I usually ask him to move a bit and kick somewhere else if he feels like stretching out. He always does, and I tell him how appreciative I am of that. Makes me feel good that we're off to a nice start. He'll likely be an Aires, so I'm sure we'll have our hands full. At this point, I am so grateful to have gotten even this far that I won't mind that a bit. So Bee, kick away. But just keep in mind if it gets painful, I'll ask you to shift just a little and kick me somewhere a little less sensitive.

I promise to check in on you all and see what's going on in your lives, and input whenever appropriate. I hope you're all well. : )

10 Comments:

At 1/21/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Dan Workman said...

I found your blog while surfing randomly. I hope that your 'chipmonk' is well, and that your experience as a Mom is as wonderful as mine has been (as a Dad--my daughter is 15 & the light of my life, next to mom).

 
At 1/22/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger NME said...

SO happy to hear you are doing well. Any time you lapse in post I worry about your wellbeing.

Congrats on your cervix!

I think your attitude about the birth plan is a very healthy one. I hear from far too many mothers who are disappointed by their birth experience because it didn't go as "planned." My only birth plan was to try and roll with it and enjoy the healthy arrival of our son, by any means necessary.

People saying you are carrying small is alot nicer than telling you that you like HUGE, asking if you are due tomorrow, and are you SURE it isn't twins. I think the comments are generally well meaning, but god they can be pretty insensitive sometime.

Remind me of your due date.

 
At 1/23/2006 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's definitely a baby in there. What a big head! Hoping that he is growing well even if you aren't showing much. Good to get an update!

 
At 1/23/2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

29 weeks, yay! I am sure that you are just carrying all to the front with a neat wee bump! Glad to hear that things are going swimmingly.

 
At 1/23/2006 6:11 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Oh Anna! I am so glad to hear from you. I was so worried about not hearing from you, I was getting ready to put out the SOS!

I'm so happy you are back here! I missed you!

 
At 1/23/2006 10:09 PM, Blogger AmyinMotown said...

Anna!!! I think you used to comment on my blog here and there back a year ago when it was active--and now it is again. I was getting nerved up with worry and am so glad you, and Ben, are ok. My daughter is a year old and I still have moments where I think "did this all really HAPPEN?" It's just hard to believe I got this lucky and she's actually here, you know? Best wishes for more of those kind of "overwhelmed by grace" moments for you, for years to come.

 
At 1/24/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Hey lady - glad to hear things are going well. Three cheers for the behaving cervix!

 
At 1/24/2006 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it totally wrong that I'm now picturing your cervix wearing a cap and gown???

 
At 1/27/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger luolin said...

I was getting worried about you too, but when I re-read the previous post I saw that you were predicting having too much work. I'm glad to hear it was that and no disasters and that the cerv. is behaving.

 
At 1/30/2006 1:30 PM, Blogger April said...

"everything else is a bonus"

What a wonderfully sweet and uplifting thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home