Thursday, July 21, 2005

Can Open, Cells Thawed...

That's right, first shot of lupron on February 14th. It was a pretty smooth cycle, except my Left ovary just didn't get with the picture. One of the doctors (the only one I don't like there - let's call him Dr. Ass, shall we?) asked me:

"Have you had surgery on the left ovary?"

me: "No"

Dr. A: "There's nothing going on. It's looks dead."

me: "It's not dead, it's just on vacation this cycle."

Dr. A: "Hmmph."

All the warmth, compassion and bedside manner of a frickin' ice pop. Thanks, ass. Aside from that, we wound up with 8 eggs, which didn't seem like a tremendous amount, but I was just glad to get some. Now we would wait to see how many of those were mature and of those, how many would fertilize. It turned out there were five. Including the two we had on ice, that made seven. See? I can add! At least small sums, otherwise I need to break out the calculator I keep with me at all times. ; )

On Day 3 they were able to biopsy all seven (yay!) so we sat tight and waited for our call on Friday, March 11th (which was day 5) to find out if there were any that would be unaffected and healthy enough to transfer.

The call came at about 11:00 a.m from Dr. S - the Big Guy who head the facility and is as nice and tactful as he is brilliant. In the kindest way possible, he let us know that the shipping container which held the biopsied specimens had been damaged during transport and the cells had thawed. Which means they couldn't be tested. Apparently, this had NEVER happened before. That's right, cheeky girls - I had the distinct privilege of being the first. And hopefully only. The upshot was that they could be rebiopsied, but by the time the results came back the window for implantation would have passed.

On Monday, day 8, 4 of the 7 were able to be biopsied, then were frozen. Because the PGD lab scrapped the old test, they had to design the new one and that would take some time, so we just played the waiting game and climbed the walls to take our mind off the waiting.

Waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Naturally I was growing more and more anxious - I finally e-mailed the doctor to see if they had anything yet. He called me in the evening of March 30th to tell me we had two to implant. No WAY!!! We were ecstatic that there were actually two healthy embryos we could transfer. We couldn't believe it. We were all set to start lupron on April 3rd. And then I got some further interesting news...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home