Thursday, June 23, 2005

So THIS is What it's Like...

We went to see my new MD (as my previous doctor has just moved far, far away), and liked him very much right off the bat. We explained our circumstances in technicolor detail and he completely grasped the situation. I had an ultrasound the following day to date the pregnancy - 7 weeks 1 day, and ooh! Look! A little flicker of a heart beat! Next up: we scheduled the chorionic villus sampling, which would allow us to test the baby's DNA and find out what exactly was what.

I had made up my mind that, even after reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting", I would still keep my expectations open. I had never been pregnant before (except that one time in college when I was late and out of sheer panic drank myself into getting my period), and I would keep an open mind as to what I would be experiencing. I know it's different for everyone, and even different pregnancies in the same woman can be different. So I was just going to sit back and see what unfolded...

In the interim, I became well acquainted with frequent nocturnal urination, but morning sickness avoided me. The closest I got was the faintest nausea; "hmmm, maybe I should eat something..." And then it would disappear. So that was nice. My cravings were for very specific foods, and when I ate them, it would be the best EVER. One day I really wanted chicken cutlet on a roll with lettuce, tomato & Russian dressing. When I ate it, I swear it had never tasted so good. And that's my favorite sandwich. Yet when I had the same sandwich the following day... Nothing. Lost my taste for it immediately. Also, I'm usually very passionate about my chocolate. While pregnant, the thought of actually eating chocolate did not thrill me. But I did enjoy chocolate flavored things. (Enter tootsie rolls - I had 5 a day). Because they were just that nutritionally rich for my growing embryo.

All throughout this, dh would awake every morning and kiss me (as per usual), then kiss my tummy and say "Good morning, baby bee!" That was just lovely. We already had a name picked out, so that wasn't a problem. It was a girl's name, because clearly there wasn't an option that I would ever have anything else except a daughter. Right? RIGHT??

1 Comments:

At 6/23/2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Amber said...

ACK! UPDATE! WHERE IS THIS GOING? i am sensing: bad. but i am sensing all sorts of bad lately, so that's nothing new. i hope it isn't bad, though.

(you weren't kidding when you said you know how i feel, eh?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home